Building the future … Supporting activities
Fostering programs to promote the art of hula
We at Hālau Hula Ka No‘eau have built our reputation on the philosophy and creed that the “Art of Hula” expresses all we see, hear, smell taste, touch and feel. We are guided by the belief the best foundation in creating something new is a thorough understanding of the past. The best environment in which to succeed is one which encourages discipline, commitment and creativity.
For the past twenty-five years Hālau Hula Ka No‘eau has strived to create a cultural learning environment and for the past seventeen years, Hawai‘i Arts Ensemble has supported all our artistic endeavors. Now, as we begin to look towards our future, we want to build on the accomplishments of our past. In order to move forward we are in need of building our organization’s sustainability; and, to construct new systems of managing cultural self determination. To move us forward we at Hālau Hula Ka No‘eau are proud to launch MU‘OLAULANI, a new non-profit company.
Translated as “heavenly shoot”, Mu‘olaulani was once the name of Queen Lili‘uokalani’s home and garden in Kapālama. With many layers of meaning and most importantly creating an organization ensuring our stability, we hope this “heavenly shoot” will unfold new opportunities and create a flourishing garden for our future.
MU‘OLAULANI is the next step in the growth of Hālau Hula Ka No‘eau. While we cannot predict the future, we can focus on variables that may impact the future stability of our hālau which is made up of a hierarchy of elders, nā kumu, nā ‘ōlapa, dancers and students. This hierarchy allows for a natural progression of leadership within the hālau but it does not address management capacity; which is often viewed as secondary or not needed at all. This misconception places the future of our organization on one person, and endangers its longevity. MU‘OLAULANI is intended to build the future stability of our hālau and will address the concerns of all our stakeholders: members of the hālau, the hula ‘ohana, cultural practitioners, Hawai‘i’s artisans, and local communities.
Mission, Vision, and Values
The world is changing all around us. To continue to thrive as a business and cultural organization, we must look ahead, understand the trends and forces shaping our organization in the future and move swiftly to prepare for what's to come. We must get ready for tomorrow today. That's what MU’OLAULANI is all about. It creates a long-term destination for our cultural activities and provides us with a “garden” in which to live work and play.
Our roadmap starts with our mission, which is enduring. It declares our purpose as an organization and serves as the standard against which we weigh our actions and decisions.
To dance throughout the world...
To promote cultural awareness and happiness...
To create value and make a difference…
Our vision serves as the framework for our roadmap and guides every aspect of our business by describing what we need to accomplish in order to continue achieving sustainable, quality growth.
- People: Create a great place where people are inspired to be the best they can be.
- Art of Hula: Bring to the world a portfolio of quality hula performances that both satisfy people's desires and needs and enhance their understanding of hula.
- 'Ohana: Nurture a winning network of cultural practitioners, artisans, and local businesses to mutually create enduring value.
- 'Aina: Be a responsible organization which makes a difference by helping build and support sustainable communities.
- Beneficiaries: Maximize long-term return to stakeholders while being mindful of our immediate, as well as overall responsibilities.
- Productivity: Be a highly effective, lean, and fast moving organization.
Live our Values
Our values serve as a compass for our actions and describe how we behave in the world.
- Leadership: The courage to shape a better future
- Collaboration: Leverage collective genius
- Integrity: Be real and principled
- Accountability: If it is to be, it's up to me
- Passion: Committed in heart and mind
- Diversity: Celebrate the common thread that brings us together
- Quality: What we do, we do well
Our Cultural Values
Our cultural values define the attitudes and behaviors that will be required of us to make our vision a reality.
Focus on Community
- Focus on the needs of our stakeholders, customers, and partners
- Get out into the community and listen, observe, and learn
- Possess a world view with island values
- Focus on infusing the arts into each day
- Be insatiably curious
Artistic Experience - Work Smart
- Remember hula is not a matter of convenience, but of commitment
- Act with urgency and passion
- Remain responsive to change with one foot rooted in the past
- Have the courage to change course when needed
- Remain constructively discontent
- Work efficiently
Deceptive Simplicity - Live/work as a Family
- Be accountable for our actions and inactions
- Agree to disagree
- Steward individual growth and focus on building value
- Reward our people for taking risks and finding better ways to solve problems
- Learn from our outcomes; understand the lessons from the past - what worked and what didn't
Traditional Ingenuity - Be the Brand
- Understand contemporary needs of cultural value
- Inspire creativity, passion, optimism, and fun
- Commit to make a positive difference in the world